Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Longest Run and First Speedwork Run

Happy Independence Day!

Since some people need meds even on holidays (I know, the nerve!!), I have to work today. I'm ok with that, except for the fact that I need some potato salad stat. Homemade, not grocery store purchased. Doesn't look like I will be getting any today, but luckily we are traveling to middle TN this weekend to visit my in-laws, and my MIL makes the best potato salad. Ever.

I have been working like a mad woman lately, and it has caught up with me. I've been absolutely exhausted for the past few days. This morning I was able to sleep in, get in a nice treadmill run, and work a very short 8 hour shift.

I finally feel somewhat rested and relaxed. This shift is turning out to be a very easy 8 hour shift, since everyone came to get their groceries and meds this morning and are now enjoying their family cookouts. You better believe I'm taking full advantage of this slow workday.

The technicians that I work with were worried that I was training to become some sort of exotic dancer because of all of the stretching that I've been doing lately.

Truth is, I've been running like a cheetah. Which means I've been running fast. And a lot. I couldn't be happier or more proud of myself.

Sunday morning, I woke up at 4am to eat breakfast and start my run super early- trying to beat the heat. I ran 7 miles- without stopping!!! That is the longest I have ever run without taking a walk break. The last mile, my legs were so tired- but I pushed through it and kept going.

Monday was a rest day, which was good, because I had to work 12 hours, and I was not happy about it.

Tuesday, I had a 5 mile run on the schedule. 5 miles is something I would have considered a "long run" 1 month ago. It's amazing how much has changed in a month because this week, it wasn't the 5 miles that concerned me- it was the fact that it was my first speed workout. Ever.

I had to be at work at 7am Tuesday, which meant this run would be happening in the afternoon. Which means it was also on the treadmill.

I taped my workout to the screen, got my iPad hooked up with Law & Order via Netflix, and took off. My new Lululemon bag that my aunt sent me for my birthday was also there to cheer me up.

I was honestly doubting whether I could run my 800 meter sprints as fast as Adam wanted me to on a good day- and on this day I was exhausted and cranky with tired legs. I was so ready to be done with it that I was counting down the minutes until it was over. Once it was- I realized that I had done it.... and survived! I did more than just survive- I fought my tired legs and overcame my self-doubt to finish strong.

I can really tell I'm getting tougher not only physically, but mentally as well. A large part of that is that Adam is holding me accountable to my training schedule. If I don't finish what I set out to do, I have to explain that to him. And he's not going to let me get by with making up excuses.

I was so proud of myself and amazed at how much I have accomplished in these few short weeks that I have been training. It's so exciting to think about how much faster I will run St. Jude this year than I did last year. If I can improve this much in just a few weeks, there is no telling what I can accomplish after 5 solid months of serious training!

Stepping outside the comfort zone is the price I pay to find out how good I can be. If I planned on backing off every time running got difficult I would hang up my shoes and take up knitting.

Desiree Davila

1 comment:

  1. I love that comment by Des Davila!

    Sorry you had to work today, but I'm glad it was a slow day for you. :)

    Way to dominate your workouts this week--you're going to kill it in your upcoming races, no doubt! Keep up the great work!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...